Managing Your Dotfiles to Utilize Your System
In order to backup, restore, and sync the prefs and settings for my toolbox, I create a repository includes all of my custome dotfiles. By the time I created this repository, I recognized that my dotfiles are the most important files on my machine.
These repository dotfiles are for setup the system enviornment in Mac OS.
Backup your home original dotfiles if you need.
Get the repository whereever you want. I like to keep in ~/Projects/dotfiles
git clone https://github.com/swcool/dotfiles.git
Using homebrew to install apps such as zsh, tmux, git, and vim
cd dotfiles; setup/homebrew.sh
Symlink to dotfiles to home directory as
Start using your dotfiles’ apps
- bin/ - Utility executable scripts, should be copy to ~/bin/
- git/ - Git related dotfiles and other configuration files.
- setup/ - Installation files for dotfiles’ apps
- tmux/ - Tmux related dotfiles.
- vim/ - Vim related dotfiles and other configuration files.
- zsh/ - ZSH related dotfiles, aliases and other files.
- A curated list of dotfiles resources, the reference project is
- A list of Github Popular Dotfiles repositories.
- dotfiles.github.io - Your unofficial
guide to dotfiles on GitHub.